Minutes 4 October 2007
Meeting Minutes - 4 October 2007
This week Teri, the education coordinator for Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, came in and talked with us about some of the services Planned Parenthood offers, a little bit about the organization itself, and some good messaging techniques.INFO FROM THE MEETING
- 7% is abortion services; the rest are education and health services
- Planned Parenthood is a non-profit (there are no share or stock-holders), so all money goes to paying employees and goes back to providing more services.
- Planned Parenthood does the most to PREVENT abortions, and the goal is to make abortion rare but still provide access to it*Values-Based Questions*
There are a few steps we can take when someone asks us a question that is "values-based", like "Is abortion murder?" or "is birth control wrong?"...
1. Tell them they have a valid question
2. Tell them it is based in someone's value system
3. Get to something in their question that is fact-based ("birth control CAN help prevent pregnancy" etc)
4. Tell them that specific question is one to ask someone they trust in their life, such as a family memberWe got an AWESOME sheet that has good ways to answer some basic and frequent questions you may or may not be asked. I'll put these in the office on Monday for people to come and grab a copy.ARMS OF PP
- 2 arms; Health Services & Education/Training/Diversity
- Education programs are taught with a pre-approved cirriculum... this is currently trying to be revamped because House Bill 1292 got passed last yearNORTHERN COLORADO
- Some interesting sites to check out would be Weld Waits.com and W.A.I.T - Why Am I Tempted? - because both of these programs are pretty heavy influences in Greeley and other places in N. COSERVICES
- HIV tests... fast testing (finger prick, about $22), get results in 20 minutes, and the run-of-the-mill blood testing that takes a bit more time to get back
- STD/STI testing - HPV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, syphillis, among many others
- Pregnancy tests... urine tests (around $10), blood tests (around $18)... prices vary anywhere from $10-$25 depending on the area you're in
- Services for people who already have STDs/STIs, including HPV
- All sexual health exams can be given at PP, but you have to ask specifically for STI testing
- Can also do consultations/q&a with a nurse or doctor
- Vaccinations: Hepatitis B and C, HPV in most locations (they don't do this one in the Ft Collins PP; the closest one is in either Greeley or Denver) Jillian's going to get Teri to come back up and talk with us again about more stuff dealing with Planned Parenthood, so she'll let us know as soon as she's coming back.NEXT MEETING
is on Thursday at 5... Jillian's going to try to get the meeting room we had on the 4th, which is on the upper level of the LSC, but if that's a no-go we'll just be meeting in the Sunken Lounge like always.
See you Thursday!!